Friday, January 06, 2006

so midterm season is beginning.

he came over but laughed
do you even take biology
he said and i said
no
but ive studied some with
you and i think ill really like
it
he understood--pulled out his
book

we opened it slowly
trembling hands at first
and oh it was warm and soft
the soft warm soft knowledge
of biology
was at our fingertips
and we were (are)
so young
i began to pump my hands over the
pages and pump faster and
faster
trying to rub the information out
of your
biology book

i still didn't understand but
suddenly (so suddenly)
it hit me! from behind--
BAM i understood
and the knowledge came
and came inside of me
(it was the shape of an
amoeba, simple protist)
i laughed (weakly) and said
i thought we'd read
some more of the book before
it just
hit
me like that (from behind)
sudden knowledge can hurt
but its a good hurt
and we lay in the warm after
noon after
glow of our sudden knowledge
of biology

and you were a man
and i was not
quite a man (but i
wanted to be, believe
me)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

was that supposed to read like a giant sexual metaphor, or was that just me?

TintedFragipan said...

...

Maverick said...

Very impressive sense of where and when to break lines. Sir, consider the piece enjoyed.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Now I really wonder who you are, or if you could possibly be--

--but no.

I don't think so.

Anonymous said...

whereas i'm fairly sure i know who you are. you didn't make it that hard, unfortunately. (who else would use the term fragipan?)
however, i'm just another anonymous... so your secret is safe with me.

I liked the flow and stop of your poem.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Can you say "She Being Brand" all over again?