Thursday, January 05, 2006

Enviro...

I despise Environmental Science.

Quoted from the Enviro text:
"By far the best ways to reduce one's risk of premature [demise] and serious health risks are to (1) not smoke, (2) avoid excess sunlight... (3) not drink alcohol... (4) reduce consumption of foods containing cholesterol and saturated fats, (5) eat a variety of fruits and vegetables, (6) excercise regularly, (7) lose excess weight..."

Wow, I've been getting it wrong for YEARS now. I thought that drinking, eating fried lard, gaining 100 pounds, and baking in the sun for 12 hours straight every day would help me become a healthier person. I ask myself... why am I taking notes on this? This is possibly the most obvious passage I have ever read.

And this makes me want to burn this book: "However, the most important good news each year is that about 99.1% of the people on the earth did not die."
Are you kidding me? I wish that 50% of the world would die each year. (Perhaps not 50%, that might be a bit much.). But I mean, if part of the curriculum you want to relate to your reader is that it's the year's best news that the human race hasn't ended... WHY ARE YOU PUBLISHING TEXTBOOKS??? DAA!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahha i wholeheartedly agree

Anonymous said...

if there was ever a class that just shouldn't exist... i think we found it

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you, friend. AP Hug-a-Tree is terrible.

What I hate most is how many numbered lists the book includes in the text. I counted in one chapter, and got a grand total of somewhere around 57 numbered lists in 3 sections before I quit.

But I've got a quote that is better than the ones you cited (albiet it is not from the Enviro book).

My EMT textbook says that you do not have to perform CPR on a patient if that patient has a history of "heart failure, kidney failure, AIDS, or other illness incompatible with prolonged life."

Gotta love it.

Anonymous said...

That quote made me laugh.

PChis said...

The problem is is that the book goes too far.

Environmental science is a very viable field that is important to countless people and even the survival of the human race.

The way they teach it is making people hate it, just like chemistry, which is a shame.

Dr.A said...

Except, pchis, that they offer different solutions to stupid problems, but then tell why each problem won't work because of a million other problems that are happening at the same time. Why don't they just suggest the solutions that actually have a chance. They are wasting my time, and I don't take kindly to it.

Anonymous said...

are u kidding me? i loved enviro, especially how it made me hate the environment even more, like, if u read carefully, u notice that the book lists pros and cons to everyone, like

it'll say that tearing down the rainforest is bad, biodiversity and blah blah, but then there's a section on how tearing down the rainforest will provide jobs, fuell the economy, and save the thousands of lives of people that die in the rain forest

like every single thing is talked about w/ both sides, i guess it makes me not care so much about not recycling when i find out all of the pros..... like creating jobs and stuff