Thursday, June 15, 2006

I had always thought one of the worst parts about being a guy is that you had to automatically fill the role of provider later in life. Whereas women can usually find a husband that will be willing to support them just in case their career aspirations backfire (as a sort of contingency plan), a man has no room for failure and has to center his formative years around making enough bucks to support himself and a future family.

Now that I think about it though, it's a sort of blessing. If my gender were switched I would be so tempted to choose an easier course of education (knowing that I probably wouldn't have to step up to the plate and actually use the stuff I learn in college). This way I'll sort of be forced to make a contribution to society (not that childrearing isn't a contribution) and stick in there no matter how difficult college gets. Thanks future wife! I'm doing this for you.


Anonymous
08:30:23 PM

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

um... i love that gender stereotypes are completely set in stone. oh wait, they aren't.

Queen Sekaf said...

Not all of us plan on using our husbands for money, thanks.

Anonymous said...

thanks for that.

Anonymous said...

Because, you know, all women say to themselves, "Bah- I don't have to try as hard in college; My husband can just support me!" and we have such a motivation to slack off because of our biological makeup, right?.

Thanks, future husband. You are the reason I fear getting married.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Future Husband - I thank you for this. Yes, I have two X chromosomes, but no, I don't plan on schmoozing off a rich husband all my life. I just think it's really great that you're embracing the role that you've been woven into by society, and that you're content with where you are and where you're going.

It's beautiful to me.

(And PS, I think my future English degree will serve me well in my future career before I marry my future husband and birth my future children.)

PChis said...

A lot of women still go to college to get their em are ess degrees.

Shame on you free thinking women for feeling otherwise!


and I mean hell, if it motivates OP then it's at least that much of a good thing right?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, better members of my sex, but I agree with the OP, too. It's not that I won't try hard in college, but the factor of a solvent husband does figure into my future plans as a fallback/safety net. Yes, I am ashamed.

Anonymous said...

he wasnt saying that all women do that he just said it possible for women. its much harder for men to marry into money.

Anonymous said...

if i was a women and i wanted money i would so marry a really rich old guy and then wait for him to die.

Anonymous said...

^Anna Nicole Smith?

Anonymous said...

SHE LOVES THAT MAN

Queen Sekaf said...

IN GENERAL you shouldn't make generalizations on this site because IN GENERAL someone's bound to call you out on it becuase IN GENERAL people here like to disagree IN GENERAL (no hate barry, you have a valid point :)

Anonymous said...

i'm going to marry barry

Anonymous said...

Any future stay at home dads in the house?

Anonymous said...

... taking that as a "no."