Wednesday, June 14, 2006

I found it in her drawer of scarves today.
She sorts through my trash, tapes together the broken bits of paper memories that I've torn up and thrown away in an effort to forget.
She always used to peer into my personal life, into my poems and my journal and my art. I thought it was a habit she had lost, but evidently, this twisted curiosity is the poison that gives life to her hateful soul.

Aren't mothers supposed to be kind?
(Nobody kind would keep a written record of the horrible memories I was trying to break free of by tearing up all those old things.)


Anonymous
11:27:46 AM

5 comments:

Graffiti Pastry said...

Looks like you answered your own question.

Wow.

PChis said...

Well if she kept them hidden where she keeps her scarves then maybe she just wanted to keep the memories without you having to see them.

Good job pulling that one on yourself.

Anonymous said...

buy a shredder

Anonymous said...

This is the most adorable mother moment I've ever seen. Sure you can't appreciate it, seeing it from the inside and all, but only a mother that cares with all her heart and soul would go to these lengths to cherish her child. She loves the shadows just as much as the A+ papers and the scholarship announcements but since she can't put them on the refridgerator she celebrates and remembers them in their own little way.

Maybe it's an invasion of privacy, and god knows there are some things on paper that I want to keep from my parents, but you really can't be mad at the woman. She loves you. All of you. Unconditionally. And this proves it.

thewordofrashi said...

I think you hardly have any room to complain about invasion of privacy. I do believe it was you who was searching through your mother's scarf drawer.

And who are we but our memories? If we discard them, we have nothing to build on, and we are unable to grow, to learn.

Some memories are best kept. All memories are best kept.