Saturday, April 15, 2006

While Thinking Of a Soldier in Iraq

People say they joined the army
(and those are the ones who really
joined) for honor, or fun, or what
ever it is that they wanted but I
joined because it was the age of 19

and there I was with the bright decade
before me, the prime of my life, and what
did I have to look foward to but a couple
of years at the community college and a job
at Domino's and a couple of kids (ohyeah, and
a wife) every night and tired, down the street
from the little house my parents always owned.

they sent me a letter

dear/dearest Matthew (or, son.)
we got your last letter and we were
very happy to hear from you because
you know we are so
worried.

I would like to tell you that your
father got a promotion and lane is probably
going to go to Enloe too (even though
you never thought he would, but he will)
your grandmother is doing better she is
using some of her money--we are too
to buy you a new car and I know you cannot
wait to get it because your truck
was in
bad, bad
shape.

we pray to the
LORD
every night to keep you safe
and we know that we will see
you soon. please be safe.

love
Your Mom/Dad (mom and dad?)

I think of this letter as the
bullet enters my face (in goes
the metal and out flies the flesh)

I think of the car I will never drive
because now I am dead.

it doesn't matter anyway.
I had 40, 50, 60 years left.
and then I would be dead.

3 comments:

thewordofrashi said...

I think of the car I will never drive
because now I am dead.


I'm sorry, but that line just made me laugh. Otherwise, very potent.

The Watcher said...

Wow, that poem made me sad.

Beautifully written, Fragi.

Anonymous said...

That was so moving, Fragi. I love your composition style, your way with words.

That prose made me a little sad, but it really impacted my outlook on a few things I take for granted.

Like taking my next breath.