Sunday, April 23, 2006

Last night when I was driving home from seven brides, the horrible rain storm that I had driven through on the way to Winston-Salem that morning hit me on I-440. The rain was so heavy that I couldn't see nor hear anything besides the rain. I find that very frightening, when I can't even see the road. But something interesting happened as well.. it's hard to describe, but the road seemed to disappear beneath the water. The lights from oncoming traffic and other lights reflected in the water in a multitude of colors, many greens and blues. The road looked as if it was moving, covered by a swathe of fog and water. It seemed at the same time, that I was not moving. In the background, on the radio, a very ethereal adagio for strings was playing, the name escapes me. It all seemed very disconnected from reality for me... incredibly surreal, and very beautiful. A thought that occurred to me during the drive was how I wished there to be a voice-over in French, like in a Truffait film. In French with subtitles because the two always seem so disconnected, or perhaps more eloquent when you must read the words for yourself. Maybe not eloquent, maybe abstract, and it's the abstraction that I find so attractive. Something indifferent and passive, "I noticed something about the rain.." and so on. Honestly I'm not sure what I'm babbling about, though I felt the need to get this written somewhere.


Josh S.
07:39:53 PM

9 comments:

thewordofrashi said...

God, I love that feeling. I've had it before too.

Anonymous said...

That's really...beautiful.

Anonymous said...

"nor"? "swathe"? "ethereal adiago"?! Call up th' sh'riff boys. I think we got us wunna them interlectuals on our hands.

Anonymous said...

Hoffman would be so proud.

TintedFragipan said...

Yes. I like driving in the rain. Especially when I'm scared to death.

I am completely serious. This is empathy, sir.

The Watcher said...

Wow, that was beautiful.

Anonymous said...

uhhh....i dont get it, guys, that really wasnt beautiful. he just used some big words and shit.

besides, you just posted it so that people would tell you its beautiful. if you really 'just wanted to write it somewhere' you would have put anonymous (which is the point of this website)

FLAAAAMMMEMEMEMEMEeeeeee

The Watcher said...

First, may I point you to the old adage "beauty is in the eye of the beholder?” Sure, you my think that this writing is stupid and facetious, but others may think otherwise.

I thought it was beautiful because he effectively used imagery to conjure up an experience that he had, and present it to a (hopefully) receptive audience

If you cannot understand the beauty of "big words" as you see them, then maybe you would be better off playing video games or hanging out with people who can speak and write in a way that you can understand.

sithgirl said...

To Anon4: Even if Josh had posted as anonymous, everyone still would have commented on how beautiful the words were.

I find your anonymous flaming to be weak, ugly, and petty. Actually, I find all anonymous flaming to be rather mean-spirited.

And what's wrong with wanting acknowledgement for a job well done? A feeling perfectly conveyed? A thought expressed in universally understood terms? I think it's bordering on genius, the ability to do something like that.