Wednesday, April 19, 2006

What do you guys think of this as the Key Club Dance idea for next year? (NOTE: this is all very very very tentative, but I want to try and gauge interest and hear suggestions/possible problems that I might not have thought to make.)

So, it would be like a dance marathon (think 1930s, where people danced until they dropped to escape the bitter horrors of the depression!) and it would probably last 10-12 hours overnight, and the idea is that you sign up to attend in teams (maybe of four?) and the registration cost would be like $120 per team (it is a charity dance, all of this money would go to charity... that's like 30 dollars per person...but to make it worth it, we would need around that much) and someone from your team would have to be dancing the entire time, though you could all dance if you wanted to, or dance in shifts or whatever. The money goes to "Doctors Without Borders" and with that kind of money (10k, assuming 100 teams sign up... eh.) they could do a freaking lot.


Anyway, how it would work is this. Every hour would be a decade, starting in the 1910s with Tin Pan Alley stuff, Jazz in the 20s, Depression Era Music (blues, jazz), 40s music, 50s rock precursors, 60s swing and stuff, 70s disco and hiphop, 80s new wave, rap, 90s tasteful rap and pop ballads, 2000+ stuff would be whatever. All good dancing music, and not 10 hours of the same stuff. Also, we were thinking if it were 12 hours we could have some indian cultural dance stuff (complete with someone demonstrating steps) and latino/irish/whatever dancing.

Would people be in to this? I thought it sounded pretty awesome. Feel free to bash, comment, suggest, whatever.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would definitely participate, I believe.

Swales said...

Hm... I probably would, if I could find friends willing to do it. It sounds like more fun than your average "awkward stand around the edges while kids you don't know sex-dance to bad rap music" school dance. I think it's a great idea, personally.

Anonymous said...

At the prices Tinted suggested, that'd allow 10,000 dollars profit on top of a production budget of 2,000 dollars. This year's Key Club dance was only a few hundred dollars to put together. I think it'll be awesome if Key Club can pull it off.

The only real issue is the ticket price, but I think most people will be in favor of it, since its for a charitable cause.

Anonymous said...

100 teams? No way you'll get even close. I'll estimate 40-50 teams _max_

Anonymous said...

400 people bought tickets to this year's key club dance, right? It probably won't be a problem selling to that many again, especially if they can manage to get people excited about it.

Anonymous said...

I would totally do that as long as I could drag some of my friends along.

TintedFragipan said...

Would teams of 2 be more accessible?

I am more inclined to believe anonymous 3 about the ticket prices though. But assuming only 50 teams did it (there was a lot more interest than 200 in CCB, though) then that would still be 5k. That's my minimum cap on what we'd make though. I want to make at least that much.

Anonymous said...

thing is, tinty, there were 2 dance marathons in the triangle this year alone. people have them all the time.

i know unc has an annual one as well.

Anonymous said...

oh gosh, this sounds like heaven to me. I'm sure I could convince a few friends to come do it with me. I'm in favor of the 4-person group idea, and $30 per person sounds reasonable. You could also have a really small ticket price to come watch or whatever (like $2 or $3) and that could be a little money too.

Good luck with getting the overnight thing approved though. Cochran is..well..cochran.

TintedFragipan said...

yeah, I know there were a couple. I didn't call it an original idea :P

but how many people from Enloe went to one?

and the decades thing is nice, I think.

Anonymous said...

I think I'd rather have four-person groups than two, but maybe you should leave it at more of a range...like 3-6, or something. That way people wouldn't have to worry quite as much about having an exact group of four or whatever.

Yeah...I like the decades thing. It sounds like fun.

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many teams of 4 could last 10-12 hours?

while 400 bought tickets to the key club dance...
50 showed up...

Anonymous said...

most of those 400 showed up, but came and left at different intervals, so only more than 100 were there at any time

thewordofrashi said...

Sounds fun to me. Nothing like dancing like a white dude for hours at a time.

Though the ticket price seems a little high. 30 bucks is as much as prom. Lower it to 20-25, and you'll be golden.

Anonymous said...

oh i'm in

Anonymous said...

are you out of your mind? will you have advisors there for that time? no one will keep enloe open all night. mr. ashley is not going to sit there until the wee hours of the morning.

Hannah said...

I'll go if you're on my team. :D

Anonymous said...

Anything to make it not as lame as it was this year. We left within 30 minutes.

Anonymous said...

dude that is sooo cool. i love the indian part, BHANGRA. and jazz is really cool too. i love the music idea. the only thing i think is a problem is the ticket price. $30 is what a prom ticket costs, so its a lot of money, i think $20 is more reasonable. but awesome idea!!!!

Anonymous said...

oh and enloe has to be locked by an administrator, so 12:30 am seems the lastest. it's gonna be tough workign it out with administration, but they're reasonable people if you go to the right ones. vogle is awesome.

Hannah said...

Oh, and anonymous-three-anonymouses ago . . . Have you ever realized that maybe it wasn't the dance that was lame?

Maybe it was you?

:-)

Anonymous said...

Too expensive, and too difficult to pull off. Otherwise I'd be for it.