Thursday, February 16, 2006

almost everyday in school when i get really stressed out I promise myself that i'll work as soon as I get home, or that i'll actually do homework on a friday. i never do. It made me think that if I can't even keep promises that I make to myself then how am I supposed to keep promises that I make to other people? I realized that I can promise other people things and keep them because I don't want other people to think i backed out. To myself I know the reasons and don't have to prove anything. It still aggravates me that I do it but I never have the motivation to change it. It seems to be a never ending cycle.


Anonymous
09:12:35 PM

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i find it a lot easier to break promises to myself than to other people.

PChis said...

It's because the promises to yourself aren't truly promises, and you can always renegotiate with yourself.

With other people it just seems much more solid.

Anonymous said...

I won't offend myself by breaking a promise, but I'll offend others by breaking promises to them.

To the root of the problem, have you ever considered tutoring? Maybe something that would help?

Anonymous said...

I really relate to this post. I find the fact that we can keep our promises to others, with more efficiency than we can to ourselves, a very interesting idea.

Firstly it shows me the amazing importance we place in other peoples ideas of us. This then leads me to the notion of respect; ie -we need respect, and one of the best ways to recieve respect, is to give it. By keeping our promises to others, we help them build respect for us.

Our direct sense of ourselves, our self-esteem or self-image etc, may not be as good as we'd like, but having respect from others, often seems to 'get us through'.

I know for me though, it's a hollow existence. A definite lack of fulfillment.

As somebody once said, "There are too many people praying for mountains of difficulty to be removed, when what they really need is courage to climb them."

Anonymous said...

I was like this for nearly a year.

Then I joined the theatre, and my parents threatened to take me out of it unless I started really trying.

Now I work at lunch to get my homework done, and work hard on friday nights to get everything done so I can stay in crew.

The theatre means so much to me, now that I'm finally part of it, I couldn't bear to quit it.