Wednesday, August 15, 2007

i've always been an outspoken opponent of long-distance relationships and even though i refuse to believe i am in a "relationship" this is so ridiculous. i haven't seen my "boyfriend" in over two months, haven't spoken to him for over a week, i am not even sure i like him anymore, and i don't know what to do. should i "break up"? it's not even a breakup, we haven't even done anything, not even seen each other. and he's going to college anyway... i just feel bad because i know he likes me a lot. but how can i change what i feel?
dammit, this year was supposed to be easy.


Anonymous
11:28:00 PM

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Talk to him about it, then decide.

thewordofrashi said...

As someone who is rather experienced at long-distance relationships, allow me to share my two cents.

Whereas I have never gone two months without seeing my girlfriend, I have been close. I won't see her again for about a month and three weeks. It will be hard, but we'll manage, because of basically, your second point.

I speak to my girlfriend on the phone just about every night. The only time I went a week without that was when I was out of the country. We're about to go to college now, and we'll be in different time zones. We still have yet to see how that will work out, although I'm sure we'll find a way to manage. We're used to long-distance.

I think, though, that for a long-distance relationship to work, and even stronger amount of commitment is necessary. You have to be committed to spending the additional money it will cost to see each other and to talking on the phone. You also have to be committed from a fidelity standpoint, although that doesn't seem to be your problem.

Basically, I have had time to let my own relationship grow before I leave for college, and so I am not worried about its future more than I am just for the whole transition thing.

You, however, do not seem to share in that luxury, and so I would suggest just breaking it off. It seems to me that the way you look at this relationship, you'll be going to college with "baggage." Call him up, tell him it's over. With the emotional committment (or lack thereof) you two seem to have for each other, it shouldn't be too difficult. Just explain the circumstances. He should get the idea.

Hope that helps.