Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Apocryphal Revelation

The horizon exhaled her final hues
While night did don her blacks and blues
And as prismatic wards did purr
Summer awoke new adventure

You peered up at that dark sheet of night then,
Far too young to criticize anything beyond the phosphorus fields of fireflies
And how they hovered like fallen glitter from the Milky Way’s arts and crafts table
But that was too far from your driveway, a white spine of suburbia

I talked to you yesterday, when the air resembled blurry things of shadows (and their shadows)
You told me of how you looked into the eyes of stratospheric patchwork.
You told me of how you saw eternity.
You told me of how you screamed.

Now you sleep with a ceiling of above you,
No longer lofty ambitions.
And a blanket of restless sleep and panic,
Alarm clocks instead of teddy bears.
You sleep knowing where Adam came, and how far Adam has to go.

1 comment:

TintedFragipan said...

I'll save my stylistic comments and praise for the Et Cetera Clause.

I'll point out on here that
You told me of how you saw eternity.
You told me of how you screamed.


reminded me of some lines from one of my favorite poems:
The sky, I thought, is not so grand;
I 'most could touch it with my hand!
And reaching up my hand to try,
I screamed to feel it touch the sky.

I screamed, and -- lo! -- Infinity
Came down and settled over me;
Forced back my scream into my chest,
Bent back my arm upon my breast,
And, pressing of the Undefined
The definition on my mind,
Held up before my eyes a glass
Through which my shrinking sight did pass
Until it seemed I must behold
Immensity made manifold;


That's such a good poem.