Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I just found out that my parents smoke weed. I found their bowl while looking for toothpaste in their bathroom.

And I mean, it's not the worst thing ever. I kinda laughed when I realized what it was that I found, but seriously, it kinda sucks. Come on, mom and dad, I don't smoke weed. I've stayed away from illegal drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, partially for my own good but mostly for you guys. And then you go and do this? What the hell?

Maybe I'm just feeling like the biggest prude ever-- all my friends enjoy the responsible underage drink on occasion, I know plenty of people who smoke weed at school, but it always seemed at least sort of okay for me to have my fun in ways that weren't drug-induced. It didn't make me weird or a societal tool. But then, my parents, man! They're the biggest moral compass I have in my life, and I find out their needle isn't pointing the same way I'm walking. What the hell does that mean?

I'm probably making too big a deal of this. It's just... I'm disappointed in my parents. I thought they were different.


Anonymous
9/29/2008
10:57:00 PM

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. :( I would feel weird about it, too.

Anonymous said...

If I was in your position I would steal (and smoke) their weed. They cannot ask you about it without admitting they smoke.

Anonymous said...

I would yell at them and call them hypocrites and thank god because you know better than your own parents. part of growing up is knowing your parents are not infallible and realizing they're wrong in some things.

be disappointing in your parents and be proud of yourself.

Anonymous said...

I would mess with them especially if they dont know you know. Make off hand comments. Say stuff like "man weed sure is for losers isnt it mom and dad" see what they say. even if you dont believe that it could be fun.

Anonymous said...

I found out my dad smokes weed earlier this year... I know how much it sucks to have your whole image you've built up about your parents' moral responsibility completely turned around. It definitely changes things. But it doesn't have to make them terrible. If they've never done it "irresponsibly", aka let their care of you or your siblings suffer because of it, then it could be much worse. Your relationship might not be the same with them anymore, but while it doesn't make it better... at least it'll be more honest.

Anonymous said...

I smoke weed with my parents on occasion. It's actually really nice and I enjoy it. I didn't find out they did it until I left for college and came back over labor day weekend and they found my bowl. They were just like "we wanted you to make the decision for yourself".
Weed really isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Anonymous said...

make them some pot brownies and dont tell them the secret ingredient.

Anonymous said...

I think you should continue to stay drug-free and live as they taught you to do, even if they couldn't achieve that themselves. Maybe they knew better, but they failed. Now they are shown to be hypocrits. Sad all around. Maybe this just shows you how pernicious drugs (including alcohol, where the same kind of dynamic goes on) can be.

Not all parents do drugs secretly, and not all adults are hypocrits. Sorry for your disappointment, which is real and painful. You can still love your parents but you don't have to join them in their failures and vices. Be strong in your better judgment. Stay on the right track, or you may end up in their position someday (or worse).

Anonymous said...

I smoke with my parents too! But I think my family's culture is a little different than most people's, because we are from Vancouver, Canada aka. pot central of North America. Just remember to make whatever decision you make with a completely open mind. Don't prejudice against weed before you know the deal with it.

Anonymous said...

The author of "Beautiful Boy" (David Sheff) smoked weed with his son, and regretted it later.