Monday, June 18, 2007

Yesterday, my companion to the foreign nation of Japan, his uncle, his uncle's fiance, and I were walking through the harajuku district of Tokyo up towards the Meiji Shrine when I saw a Japanese kid holding a "free hugs" sign. After humoring him he asked me, albeit in broken english rather hard to understand, if I would like to join him in his cause, but let's be real, I'm in Japan, I'm trying to take it all in, I only have two weeks, and the rest of my party is waiting for me, I don't have time.

On the long walk up to the shrine, however, this logic began to bother me. Why shouldn't this be a part of my experience in Japan? Why is anything else more important than this? On the way back down I got my friend to speed ahead of the two others with us back down to where the free hugs people were. We stood there for about an hour giving out hugs and talking to the people around us.


It was beautiful.

8 comments:

thewordofrashi said...

Haha, you're such a hippie.

Anonymous said...

I think that would be really cool...

...of course, I could see myself becoming a hippie if it weren't for the drugs, so I guess I can't really refute the hippie thing.

TintedFragipan said...

haha pchis just wanted to brag about being in japan. i feel like i'd be too ashamed of being an obvious tourist to do that, though.

Anonymous said...

awesome

Anonymous said...

congrats! i wish i could have been there to hug with you

Anonymous said...

hugs

FTW!!!!1

Anonymous said...

Good for you!! I wish I could've been there to see it. Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to step completely out of my box and do that here, in my own "foreign" country. (Though it might be a little shady, the old men here aren't of the best sort...)

Keep on keepin' on!

Anonymous said...

I could use a free hug.